Hilton Head Island has over 40 miles of bike trails for exercise and enjoyment of residents and visitors alike. As you can imagine, a good deal of people take advantage of this great opportunity for self-made entertainment in the gorgeous South Carolina weather. In order to have the most enjoyable experience possible, it’s a good idea to stay abreast on the best measures of safety while riding.
Before you even get on your bike, you should make sure that it is in proper working condition. Check the ABCs!
- Air: Are your tires inflated properly? Are you prepared with a spare tube if you get a flat?
- Brakes: Do your brakes work? Test them before you ride!
- Chains: Make sure your chains are lubed well or you could cause damage.
Of course, if you rent a bike, this should all be taken care of for you, but it won’t hurt to double check.
While not everyone needs a full suit of biking gear, it is a good idea to make sure your clothing is not loose enough to get tangled in the bike’s gears. And a helmet should ALWAYS be part of your riding gear.
If everyone knew the rules of the road, there would be so many fewer accidents. You can only do your part, but that is half the battle. Keep these laws and guidelines in mind when you ride:
- When riding your bike on the road, always ride WITH the flow of traffic, not against it. Your bike may be in the road, and not necessarily on the shoulder. Cars may pass, but they must give you 4 feet of leeway.
- When riding on a trail, stay to the right and only pass on the left. Always give warning before passing.
- Be sure to signal before stopping or turning.
You’re sure to see some amazing scenery when you ride the bike trails of Hilton Head. Make sure you are riding safely, and you’ll be able to enjoy it even more in the days to come.